Physical Evaluation Checklist (for Resale Units)
Use this checklist to size up the physical state of the condominium.
Common Elements — Interior
- Lobby is clean and in good repair.
- Exterior doors, locks and security system are functional.
- Recreational amenities (if any) are in good working order and clean.
- Elevators are clean and functional.
- Corridors are clean, well lit and odour-free; carpets are in good repair and paint is unmarked.
- Stairwells are well lit; doors and door handles are functional.
- Stairs have handrails and the stair edgings are marked for increased safety
- Common basement or locker facilities are well lit, clean and dry.
- No signs of water leaks or mold.
- Parking structure does not show any evidence of leaks or concrete deterioration.
- All areas meet your needs for ease of accessibility.
Common Elements — Exterior
- Garbage and recyclables are in receptacles or dumpsters.
- Snow and ice are removed from walkways and parking areas if viewing in the wintertime.
- Amenities are clean and in good repair, including recreational facilities (such as playground structures) and landscaping.
- Exterior walls are not cracked, corroded or water-stained.
- Balcony railings are rigid and rust-free and balcony slabs are not breaking up.
- Roadways, sidewalks and parking areas are in good shape with no standing water.
- Block heaters (if any) are functional.
- Lighting in pathway and parking lot is good.
- Walls have no water stains, corrosion, loose siding or white marks on brick.
- Lawn and fences are in good condition.
- Favourable initial reaction to odours upon entering the unit.
- Exterior door to unit is in good repair, with unmarked paint and functioning latch and locks.
- Drywall is not dented or broken.
- Paint is unmarked.
- Flooring (including tile, hardwood and carpeting) is clean and in good repair, with no stains, holes or burn marks.
- Smoke detectors are on each floor.
- Interior doors are in good repair and open and close easily; latches or knobs are functional.
- Windows open, shut and lock easily; glass is unscratched; no noticeable drafts or mold; seals are in place.
- No visible water-stain marks or damaged drywall around windows, near floors or ceilings.
- All light fixtures are operational.
- Appliances (if included) are functional, clean and in good repair.
- Plumbing does not drip.
- Toilets flush and refill properly.
- Bathtub and shower walls are clean and solid.
- Bathtub has solidly installed grab bars for safe entry and exit.
- Floor of bathtub is non-skid.
- Electrical sockets function.
- Kitchen cupboards are in good repair with functional doors and no signs of pests (insects or mouse droppings).
- Basement is dry and odour-free with no evidence of water damage (which would indicate previous flooding).
- Basement sump pump is functional (if applicable).
- Unit heating and air-conditioning systems are working, in good repair and not of an age to be replaced.
- Exhaust fans in kitchen and bathroom are operational.
- The neighbourhood is sustainable.
- The area is safe.
- The area has features and services you or your family requires (for example, public transit, convenient shopping, parks, good schools).