Our Monthly Housing Starts and Other Construction Data (previously Preliminary Housing Starts Data) publication is issued on the 11th working day of the month. Exact release dates can be found in our Reports Calendar.
You can also view monthly housing starts and construction data on our Housing Market Information Portal.
September Monthly Housing Starts key highlights
- The trend in housing starts was 271,068 units in September 2021, down from 284,757 units in August 2021.
- Single-detached and multi-family SAAR starts were both lower in Canada’s urban areas. This led to a decline in overall SAAR starts for the month.
- On a trend and monthly SAAR basis, however, the level of housing starts activity in Canada remains high in historical terms.
- Among Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, Vancouver was the only market not to register growth in total SAAR starts. This is due to a decline in the multi-family segment.
September Standalone Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate (SAAR)
- The standalone monthly SAAR of housing starts for all areas in Canada was 251,151 units in September. This is a decrease of 4.4% from 262,754 units in August.
- The SAAR of urban starts decreased by 4.5% in September to 223,055 units.
- Multiple urban starts decreased by 4% to 165,861 units in September. Single-detached urban starts decreased by 5.9% to 57,194 units.
- Rural starts were estimated at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 28,096 units.
- Document Type:
- Date Published:
- October 18, 2021
About Monthly Housing Starts and Construction Data
These monthly housing data tables reflect:
- current statistics
- new home starts
- construction activity
Find actual and seasonally adjusted housing starts data are presented separately by region, province, Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) and dwelling type. Select data on “under construction” and “absorption” are also included.
Data source: CMHC Starts and Completions Survey and Market Absorption Survey.
Previous monthly PDF reports called Preliminary Housing Starts Data are available and range from January 2016 to January 2021.