Through our Non-Profit Housing Program, we support First Nation communities by providing financial assistance to build affordable rental housing on-reserve. Apply for subsidies and loans to help construct, purchase and rehabilitate, as well as manage non-profit housing in your community.
Who’s eligible for the Program?
All First Nation communities are eligible for this program.
How does the Program work?
First, a housing subsidy is provided to your community to help you operate and administer affordable rental housing. It will run for a maximum of 25 years, or the length of the project loan amortization period, whichever is less. The subsidy amount is determined as follows:
project subsidy = loan repayment + operating expenses − revenue
Financing for the construction or purchase and rehabilitation of the homes may be obtained through CMHC’s Direct Lending or through Approved Lenders such as an Aboriginal Capital Corporation, banks and trust companies.
Section 95 loans through CMHC's Direct Lending program are:
- for up to 100% of the total eligible capital cost of a housing project
- insured under the National Housing Act
You can also apply for our proposal development funding — an interest-free, repayable loan — to support your on-reserve housing project.
Please contact your Indigenous and the Northern Housing Solutions Specialist for more information on the applications process. Your specialist can help you:
- determine program eligibility
- confirm that your project aligns with this program
- explain the application, approval and funding process
- understand the required documents by:
- assisting you to gather and complete the CMHC application documents
- assisting you with the application portal
- supporting you through the approval process
- Product Highlight Sheet (PDF)
- Section 95 Project Delivery Guide (PDF)
- Section 95 Project Operations Guide (PDF)
- Guide for Audited Financial Statements – Pre-1997
- Guide for Audited Financial Statements – Post-1996
For more information about this program, please contact your Indigenous and Northern Housing Solutions Specialist.