Submitting a request online
Online request for information
Requests submitted under the Privacy Act made in writing must specify that the request is being made under the Privacy Act. Alternatively, requests can be made by using a Personal Information Request Form, which can be found in the Access to Information and Privacy section of the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat website. Please note that there are NO fees applicable to a privacy request.
All written requests made under the Privacy Act should be as specific as possible. This will enable CMHC to conduct an effective search and to reduce the need to seek clarification from the requester.
Please consult CMHC’s Info Source chapter (PDF), a publication containing information about and/or collected by CMHC, to assist you in exercising your rights under the Privacy Act.
Requests under the Privacy Act must include the following:
- A clear and concise description of the record or type of information being sought;
- The preferred method of access (i.e. paper copy or electronic);
- The full name and date of birth of the applicant;
- The applicant's telephone number and complete mailing address in Canada;
- A copy of a government-issued photo identification such as passport or driver's license;
- Be dated and signed by the applicant (if submitting by mail);
- And, If possible, a telephone number and/or email address where the applicant can be contacted during business hours.
Requests for personal information which is not the applicant's must be made under the Access to Information Act. Please refer to the section on How to make a request under the Access to Information Act.
The personal information which you provide to CMHC is protected under the Privacy Act and is solely used for processing your request according to the provisions specified in the Access to Information and Privacy Personal Information Bank Number PSU 901.
In processing your privacy request or correction request under the Privacy Act, we will:
- Process your request while protecting your identity.
- Offer reasonable assistance throughout the request process.
- Provide information on the Privacy Act, including information on the processing of your request and your right to complain to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
- Inform you as appropriate and without undue delay when your request needs to be clarified.
- Make every reasonable effort to locate and retrieve the requested personal information under the control of our government institution.
- Apply limited and specific exemptions to the requested personal information.
- Provide accurate and complete responses.
- Provide timely access to the requested personal information.
- Provide personal information in the format and official language requested, as appropriate.
- Provide an appropriate location within our government institution to examine the requested personal information.
Requests by mail should be sent to:
Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Office
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
700 Montreal Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0P7
How much time will it take CMHC to process your request?
For requests made under the Privacy Act, a maximum of 30 calendar days beyond the initial 30 days is permitted if the original time limit would unreasonably interfere with CMHC’s operations; or consultations are necessary and cannot reasonably be expected to be completed within the original time restriction.