Urban, Rural and Northern Indigenous Housing - Immediate Needs Funding:
- In June 2023, Indigenous Services Canada selected the National Indigenous Collaborative Housing Inc. (NICHI) to deliver $281.5 million in immediate funding over two years to address the urgent, unmet needs of Indigenous people living in urban, rural and northern areas.
- NICHI will deliver this funding through a proposal process for Indigenous-led, non-profit projects, which will launch on November 24th, 2023. For more details on the application process, please visit the NICHI website at www.NICHI.ca
Investing in an Urban, Rural and Northern Indigenous Housing Strategy
- Budget 2023 proposes to allocate $4 billion over 7 years starting 2024-25 for the implementation of the Strategy – this in addition to Budget 2022’s $300 million commitment.
- The Urban, Rural and Northern Indigenous Housing Strategy will complement the 3 existing distinction-based housing strategies: First Nations Housing and Related Infrastructure Strategy, the Inuit Nunangat Housing Strategy and the Métis Nation Housing Sub Accord.
- CMHC is working with the National Urban, Rural and Northern Indigenous Housing Coalition, supporting National Indigenous Organizations and other Indigenous partners to conduct their own engagement activities with their membership.
CMHC’s part in the Urban, Rural and Northern Indigenous Housing Strategy
The mandate letter of the Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion commits to co-developing an Urban, Rural and Northern Indigenous Housing Strategy. CMHC is helping to fulfill this commitment and is working with Indigenous partners to co-develop the Strategy.
Improving the quality and affordability of housing for Indigenous Peoples living in urban, rural and northern areas is a priority for the Government of Canada and an important commitment on the path toward reconciliation.
CMHC supports these engagements in collaboration with Indigenous Services Canada, Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Infrastructure Canada.