Your Spring 2020 quarterly dashboard on the residential mortgage industry in Canada is now available.
The COVID-19 pandemic is strongly impacting the Canadian economy and is expected to affect the housing and mortgage markets. This updated dashboard provides insights into the residential mortgage industry through analysis of the most recently available data for 2019.
The updates include:
- Outstanding mortgage debt grew by 4% and average sale prices grew by 2.4%, to $500,938
- The 6% rise in mortgage flows in 2019 was mainly due to an increase in homeowners renewing their loans
- Mortgage Investment Corporation (MIC) activity has further concentrated in Ontario
- Private-label Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities (RMBS) remained around 1.1% of the total funding mix
About the dashboard
The Residential Mortgage Industry report is an annual, economic analysis of the residential mortgage industry in Canada. The report:
- provides a whole market view from origination to funding, covering insured and uninsured mortgages from all lender types
- consolidates information from a variety of sources to provide further insights into the evolving mortgage landscape
- provides insight to a number of emerging trends in the Canadian residential mortgage industry
The annual report is complemented by a quarterly dashboard that provides updated data and highlights of market trends. The dashboard helps fill housing market data gaps by providing the latest trends and data in the mortgage industry.