Addressing affordability requires interventions to grow the supply of housing across the continuum — from shelters through affordable rental housing to homeownership.
When we talk about housing supply, we mean the construction, repair, renewal and preservation of housing.
Housing affordability is undermined if:
- housing supply doesn’t meet demand
- housing costs grow faster than household income
- available housing isn’t aligned with the diverse needs of Canadians
That’s why housing supply research is important. It focuses on the data and analysis required to understand:
- the current state of housing supply
- factors that restrict supply
- innovative solutions to increase supply
- reducing housing costs
The research investigates how housing supply meets or fails to meet housing demands and highlights possible solutions — especially in underserved populations and regions.