Climate change poses significant challenges to the housing sector. Our research explores the impact of climate risks on existing and new housing, as well as the housing finance system.
Our goal is to ensure that future housing construction is both energy efficient and resilient to climate change. We evaluate innovative and cost-effective approaches that can help the housing industry mitigate risks.
Our research focuses on:
- Building resilience: We investigate ways to enhance the resilience of buildings, considering both new constructions and existing housing stock. By identifying vulnerabilities and developing adaptation measures, we aim to ensure that homes can withstand the changing climate and minimize potential damages.
- Energy efficiency: We’re committed to promoting energy-efficient housing practices that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our research explores innovative building materials, energy-efficient technologies and best practices for retrofitting existing homes to improve energy performance and reduce carbon footprint.
- Affordable housing: We recognize the importance of affordable housing in the face of climate change. Our research examines how to integrate climate resilience and energy efficiency measures into affordable housing projects, ensuring that populations in housing need have access to safe and sustainable homes.
- Policy development: CMHC collaborates with government agencies, industry stakeholders and researchers to develop evidence-based policies and guidelines that support climate-resilient housing. Our research findings contribute to informed decision-making and help shape effective strategies at the local, regional and national levels.
Download our research reports:
- An International Comparative Study of Catastrophe Risk Mitigation and Insurance
- Impact Framework for Sustainable Communities and Buildings
- Post-Occupancy Evaluation of the Salus Karen’s Place Supportive Housing Project
- Incorporating the Impact of Climate Change into Models Related to Housing and Housing Finance
- Treading Water: Impact of Catastrophic Flooding on Canada’s Housing Market
- Arviat E/2 Northern Sustainable House Energy Consumption Performance Assessment
- Indwell Passive House Design — Developers and Affordable Housing Series