Overview of the research
CMHC provided funding for a two-day housing forum, “North at Home,” which informed the development of the North at Home report.
The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario and Advocacy North brought together stakeholders to discuss housing experiences and the rental housing supply crisis.
The most pressing concerns for the housing sector in the region are:
- Limited new housing supply
- Lack of affordable rental housing
- Poor condition of the existing housing stock
- High energy costs
- Lack of adequate housing for the growing senior population
- Growing prevalence of homelessness
- Limited supportive housing
The following priorities were outlined as potential approaches to addressing the rental housing crisis in Northern Ontario:
- Retaining current stock
- Conversion of vacant buildings
- Support for non-profit housing
- Partnerships and coordination of services
- Eviction prevention
Implications for the housing industry
This project demonstrates the importance of a good understanding of and careful planning for unique Northern challenges and needs.
The research highlights the critical need for:
- Durable and energy-efficient building stock requiring minimum repairs and maintenance
- Not-for-profit developers to address the affordable supply issue
- Housing solutions that account for specific needs of vulnerable groups such as seniors and Indigenous youth
The knowledge and experiences of stakeholders are key to creating effective programs and initiatives. This includes Indigenous non-profit housing providers and local service providers.
This report is part of the Research Insight series, under research priority area Housing needs and conditions.
- Full report: North at Home: Understanding housing conditions in Northern Ontario (PDF)
- Alternative Financing for Indigenous Housing
- Housing Research Newsletter
About CMHC Research Insights
Research Insights are summaries of our research reports. These Insights:
- identify a housing research issue, gap or need
- provide an overview of the research project undertaken to address it
- present major findings of the research
The research presented in this series explores the areas of Housing needs and conditions, Housing finance, Housing supply and Outcomes of the National Housing Strategy.