The Rental Market Report provides in-depth analysis and market trends for major centres across Canada. This report uses data from the fall Rental Market Survey results and is released annually.
- Analysis of primary and secondary rental markets
- Information covering new and existing structures
- A review of rent and vacancy trends and their economic and demographic drivers
- Analysis on the impacts of COVID-19 on rent arrears
- Indicators of affordability conditions for the primary rental market
Highlights from the 2020 Rental Market Report
Rent arrears show the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on renter households and the rental market in Canada. This is new for the 2020 survey. For those apartment structures with rents in arrears:
- 32.5% reported their arrears rate as similar to 2019
- 58.3% reported a higher arrears rate
- 9.2% said arrears were lower compared to 2019
Use CMHC’s Rental Market Data tables for detailed statistical overviews of Canada’s rental markets.
NOTE: Starting in 2021, the analysis of all rental markets will be included in one report. This will replace the standalone reports by market. Reports from previous years can be accessed in CMHC’s Library.
- Document Type:
- Date Published:
- January 28, 2021
- ID Number: