We commissioned a research team from the Institute of Urban Studies at the University of Winnipeg to conduct a literature review. The goals were to better understand rental discrimination and improve tenant rights. The team developed a framework for understanding rental discrimination and conducted interviews with housing professionals and tenants in Ontario and Québec.
This project had 4 main research questions:
- What does rental discrimination look like?
- How are tenants experiencing it?
- What are the effects?
- What can be done to prevent it?
This Research Insight discusses the key findings of this literature review — like how:
- different types of discrimination can take place at each tenancy stage
- discrimination can affect the search for a new unit and future housing options
- rental discrimination can look different for different populations
- Document Type:
- Date Published:
- April 19, 2023