Key findings from this research
- Behaviours associated with NIMBY attitudes can be softened and evolve over time.
- NIMBYism can happen before and after social housing is built. One social inclusion project may go through but threaten future projects.
- Communication and relationship-building are important for buy-in of affordable housing and social inclusion projects.
- Evidence-based approaches help to gain acceptance and foster social inclusion.
- Proper social inclusion project planning can ensure the timely construction of much needed affordable housing.
This report is part of the Research Insight series. Read the full report Understanding Social Inclusion and NIMBYism in Providing Affordable Housing (PDF).
Sign up for our newsletter and let us notify you when new research insights are released.
About CMHC Research Insights
Research insights are summaries of our research reports. These insights:
- identify a housing research issue, gap or need
- provide an overview of the research project undertaken to address it
- Present major findings of the research
Examples of research insights topics:
- adaptability and accessibility
- affordable housing
- housing market and finance