The Expert Community on Housing (ECOH) is a virtual community where housing-related experts with diverse experiences can collaborate. ECOH enables members to connect and network with other industry experts from across the country in a variety of fields. It welcomes its members to join the conversation on housing through its forum, events, webinars and other collaborative activities.
The webinar series facilitates this by offering members a space to share their knowledge. Members can host webinars on a wide array of housing topics, such as project development, sustainability and housing affordability. These webinars offer other members of the community the opportunity to learn about different housing challenges and solutions.
3 Key Goals
Create connections between community members who are interested in exploring housing challenges.
Provide a space for community-generated content and the exchange of ideas.
Host webinars on a wide range of topics, including National Housing Strategy Priority Areas.
Project scope and expected outcomes
Content created by the community
The webinars are member-driven and serve as an opportunity for members to share their ideas with the community. The webinar content comes from community members who have expressed an interest in sharing their ideas or projects. The webinars are free to host and all members can hold them depending on available spots in the schedule.
The webinars provide an opportunity for community members to engage with the presenters through a question and answer period. The webinar hosts can pose questions to the community and learn from their expertise. Finally, members can form connections through the webinars and continue their discussions after the presentation.
The ECOH Team provides administrative and technical support for the webinars. This includes recording, storage and sharing the webinar’s content. Webinar recordings are available on the ECOH Forum on Microsoft Teams, allowing members to watch webinars at their convenience.
Sharing a variety of ideas and perspectives with the community
The community strives to share a variety of ideas and perspectives related to the National Housing Strategy and housing more broadly. The webinars act as a support tool to help create connections between housing experts. They also serve as a way of sharing information from the strategy’s programs and Priority Areas.
Here are some of the examples of previous webinars shared by ECOH members:
- Zoning for the Missing Middle: Ottawa’s R4 Zoning Review (Tim Moerman). This webinar focused on addressing the role that zoning by-laws played in Ottawa’s housing shortage. It explored how by-law changes have enabled missing middle housing to be developed.
- Student Housing in Canada: Issues and Solutions (Laurent Levesque). This webinar highlighted the lack of affordable housing for Canadian students. It also shed light on a targeted development project implemented by UTILE to address the issue.
- Transforming Emergency Shelter Spaces to Permanent Supportive Housing: New Opportunities During COVID-19 (Abe Oudshoorn). This webinar shared the shelter transformation results and the perspectives of the residents who took part in the project.
- Tower Renewal and Conducting Retrofits in Occupied Apartments (Andrew Cohrs and Ya’el Santopinto). This webinar shared the current trends and challenges in tower renewal. This webinar also showcased a Solutions Lab project that produced a field guide for retrofits in tenant-occupied buildings.
- Resilient Buildings, Healthy and Welcoming Housing (Léa Methé). This webinar examined ways to enable new Canadians to access safe and affordable housing. It presented a policy idea called the Stepping-Stone Housing Program, which is designed to support newcomers.
ECOH is continually looking for members to host webinars on a range of topics. Examples include housing for those in greatest need, northern housing and sustainable housing and communities.
Program: Expert Community on Housing
Get more information:
To find out more about hosting ECOH webinars, email us.