With innovative and fresh approaches to create more affordable rental housing in the country, the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, today announced the winners of the Innovation Fund Student Challenge.
Three teams have been selected as winners earning the full award of $10,000:
- The Beaver – York University
- Compact Homes: Innovative Solutions Solving the Affordability Challenge – Queen’s University
- The Jetty: An Affordable Housing Cooperative – Dalhousie University
Three additional teams have been chosen to receive awards of merit of $2,000:
- Affordable Housing Initiative for Single Mothers – Dalhousie University
- Affordable Live-Work Rental Cooperative – McGill University
- Canada Affordable Housing Real Estate Investment Trust – Université du Québec à Montréal
Launched in September 2017, the Innovation Fund Student Challenge for Affordable Rental Housing asked post-secondary students to submit a proposal for affordable rental housing solutions that are new to Canada, with innovative building techniques and business or financing models that lower the costs and risks associated with rental housing.