Are you building or renovating housing units with funding from our On-Reserve Non-Profit Housing Program? If so, you’ll need to send us proof that your projects are meeting all applicable safety standards.

How do I show proof of compliance?

First, you must complete a declaration form stating that all units meet:

  • National Building Code of Canada’s requirements
  • local zoning and building bylaws and regulations.

You’ll also need to send us a Certificate of Building Code Compliance at 3 different stages in the construction process:

  • pre-backfill inspection (foundation stage)
  • pre-drywall inspection (framing, rough-in and insulation/vapour barriers stage)
  • final inspection

These certificates assure us that your units have met or exceeded the National Building Code every step of the way. They should be sent to us with your declaration form, along with certified building plans and any other supporting documents.

Your First Nation is responsible for paying all costs related to code compliance inspections. However, these costs are considered eligible expenses under the On-Reserve Non-Profit Housing Program.

Who completes the Certificate of Building Code Compliance?

The Certificate should be completed and signed by the housing inspector who did the code compliance inspection. The housing inspector must be qualified or certified by a recognized professional industry organization.

Alternatively, you can submit your certificate and building plans with the professional seal of an engineer or architect. A professional engineer or architect is considered to be qualified to perform building code inspections. As such, their professional seal provides proof that the inspection was done by an independent qualified inspector.

How are code compliance inspections different than progress reviews?

The progress reviews done by our technical service providers have no impact on National Building Code compliance. Progress reviews are typically done so we can support loan advances. That said, some technical service providers are also qualified to do code compliance inspections. In these cases, it’s up to you to engage and pay for their services related to code compliance inspections.

Contact your First Nation Housing Specialist for more information about National Building Code compliance and reporting requirements.

Date Published:: March 31, 2018