Providing Flexibility and Financing Choice for Borrowers who are Relocating
CMHC’s portability feature allows borrowers to port the CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance from an existing home to a new home and in some cases save money by reducing or eliminating the premium on the financing of the new home.
Download Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Reduced Costs — Repeat users of CMHC Mortgage Loan Insurance may be able to save money by reducing or eliminating the mortgage loan insurance premium on the financing of a new home.
- Competitive Interest Rates — Access to CMHC-insured financing, and as a result, competitive interest rates.
- Availability — Products and services available coast-to-coast-to-coast.
- Available for all CMHC-insured mortgage loans covering 1 – 4 unit residential properties originally insured by CMHC.
- No new premium due where terms of mortgage are unchanged (same or lower Loan-to-Value (LTV), loan amount and amortization period).
- Premium payable where there is an increase to LTV, loan amount, and/or amortization period.
- Where Premium on Total Loan Amount is payable, a premium credit may be available under certain conditions.