Developing First Nation Housing Policies
Written policies and procedures help you manage housing fairly and consistently. They give decision-makers such as Chief and Council clear and consistent direction, and help home occupants understand their role in housing.
Developing Effective Policies
Policies should be easy to read and understand. Use a consistent format for all your community’s policies.
Usually, a policy contains the following information, but it may not all be necessary for every policy:
- Background – this includes who drafted the policy, when it was approved, how it will be distributed, and the signatures of those who approved.
- Date when it takes effect and ends
- Dates of revisions
- Description of programs covered
- Specific policy information – this includes any procedures that need to be followed, and who is responsible for what.
- Definitions of key terms
- Implementation details
- Description of how any exceptions to the policy will be handled