On-Reserve Housing – Retrofit Initiative
What is the On-Reserve Housing Retrofit Initiative?
The On-Reserve Retrofit Initiative is a program that offers financial assistance to First Nations for renovations and general improvements of housing under existing CMHC agreements.
Download Fact Sheet (PDF)
Who is Eligible?
First Nations that have social housing projects under CMHC’s On-Reserve Non-Profit Housing Program and are currently subject to and in compliance with an operating agreement.
What costs are eligible?
The house must lack basic facilities or is in need of major repair in one or more of the following categories:
- repair, replacement or construction of worn out major building components
- retrofits to increase energy efficiency
- modifications to provide support for persons with disabilities
- additions of bedrooms or secondary suites to address overcrowding
- regeneration of units which are physically or functionally obsolete.
What assistance is available?
The financial assistance is in the form of a contribution. The maximum contribution amount is $60,000* per unit.
*For northern or remote areas the maximum total amount may be increased by an additional 25 percent.
Only work related to the conversion and rehabilitation of non-residential properties to create residential units is eligible.
Important: any work carried out before application is approved in writing is not eligible.
Where can I get more information?
Contact your CMHC Consultant or local CMHC office. You can also contact CMHC at 1-800-668-2642.