Fire Prevention Tips for Residents
Follow these tips to help prevent fires in your home and minimize damage when a fire starts.
- Install smoke detectors and check them regularly to ensure they are working properly.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in a convenient location. Make sure it is in working condition and you know how to use it.
- Plan an escape route in case of fire and rehearse your plan with family members.
- Ensure you have an easily accessible alternative exit if the first exit is blocked by fire.
- Never leave candles burning unattended and keep candles out of reach of children.
- Make sure that cigarettes are fully extinguished when finished smoking.
- Clean chimneys once a month during heating season and have chimneys inspected annually.
- Ensure wood stoves are installed properly.
- Keep clothing and other flammable materials away from heating sources such as space and baseboard heaters.
- Store matches and lighters in a safe place away from children and sources of heat.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet from the home.
- Store flammable materials, liquids and solvents in metal containers, and keep them 30 feet away from the home.
- Keep brush surrounding your home to a minimum.