We all want to live in our own homes as long as possible. As we grow older, that often means making adaptations to our homes to better accommodate our changing abilities. At CMHC, we want to help extend the time on-reserve seniors are able to live independently in their homes. With our Home Adaptations for Seniors’ Independence Program (HASI) On-Reserve, we can provide financial support for your age-related home adaptations.

Who is eligible for financial support?

A First Nation or First Nation member living on reserve may receive assistance. However, the senior occupant must meet the following criteria:

  • Be 65 or older and have difficulties with daily activities due to age.
  • The household income must be at or below the established limit based where the community is located.
  • The home must be a permanent residence.

What home adaptations are covered by this program?

Financial support is available for minor home adaptations that will help you live independently in your own home. Several kinds of age-related adaptations are covered by this program. For example, we can help you install:

  • handrails
  • easy-to-reach work and storage areas in your kitchen
  • lever handles on doors
  • walk-in showers with grab bars
  • bathtub grab bars and seats

Other work may be covered as long as the adaptations are permanent and fixed to the home.

Important: Have you made any of these adaptations before getting your application approved in writing? If so, they won’t be eligible for funding under this program.

How much financial support is available?

We will provide eligible owners with up to $10,000 for the needed home adaptations. If the property is on-reserve in northern or remote areas, the maximum amount may be increased by 25%.

This is a forgivable loan, which means it doesn’t have to be repaid as long as you meet certain conditions. In this case, the senior occupant must live in the home for at least 6 months after the work is complete. Otherwise, the loan will have to be paid back.

What if I need to make home adaptations for other reasons?

If your home needs additional adaptations or repairs to accommodate a disability, we can help. Learn about our Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) which provides funding for repairs and modifications related to disabilities.

For more information about this program, please contact your First Nation Housing Specialist.

Date Published:: March 31, 2018