Federal-Provincial Investments Create Affordable Housing Options for Seniors
ST. JOHN’S, NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR, September 21, 2016 — Anglican Homes Inc. officially opened The Babb Manor today in St. John’s, a new 24-unit affordable housing development for seniors. Fifteen of the building’s units were jointly funded by the Governments of Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador through the Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH) agreement. Programming and services space was funded through Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation’s (NLHC) Provincial Homelessness Fund.
Seamus O’Regan, Member of Parliament for St. John's South — Mount Pearl, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), and Derek Bennett, Parliamentary Secretary to the Honourable Sherry Gambin-Walsh, Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation, made the announcement today.
- The Babb Manor, which includes 24 new affordable housing units for seniors, officially opened today in St. John’s.
- Fifteen of the building’s 24 units were funded through an equally cost-shared $1.9 million investment from the Governments of Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador under the Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH) Agreement.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador also provided $250,000 through Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation’s (NLHC) Provincial Homelessness Fund for programming and services space.
“Our Government is committed to helping seniors in Newfoundland and Labrador and throughout the country. Projects like this one are providing safe, affordable housing to many residents in our community while creating jobs and stimulating our economy.”
— The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
“The Babb Manor is a shared effort among the Federal and Provincial Governments and community partners. It is a perfect example of solutions that can be developed to address homelessness and affordable housing. By addressing these challenges together, we can make a real difference in the lives of individuals in our communities.”
— The Honourable Sherry Gambin-Walsh, Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation
“We are thrilled to be officially opening our new 24-unit affordable living development, now known as The Babb Manor. These new units allow us to improve and expand the range of affordable options we provide to seniors in our community. We are very grateful for the federal and provincial government investments that make projects like this a reality. This development is also the new home of The Seniors Resource Center of Newfoundland and Labrador, enabling our tenants and surrounding community access to valuable supportive services and programs. We take great pride in today’s opening – a significant accomplishment for Anglican Homes Inc.”
— Kelly Manning, Chief Executive Officer, Anglican Homes Inc.
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642.
- Canadians are invited to help shape the National Housing Strategy by joining the conversation on www.LetsTalkHousing.ca. Your ideas will contribute to the future of housing in Canada.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation is the province’s largest landlord with over 5,500 rental units province-wide and is home to approximately 12,000 people. For more information on Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation programs, visit: http://www.nlhc.nf.ca/programs/programs.html.
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Manager of Corporate Communications
Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation