New Senior Housing Breaks Ground in Pinehouse
PINEHOUSE, SASKATCHEWAN, June 16, 2016 — The Governments of Canada and Saskatchewan, along with Pinehouse Housing Corporation (PHC), celebrated the ground breaking for a new 12-unit affordable rental housing project for seniors in the Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake.
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), the Honourable Donna Harpauer, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, and His Worship Mike Natomagan, Mayor of the Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake, made the announcement today.
- The complex will consist of six one-bedroom units at 526 square feet or 49 square meters and six two-bedroom units at 807 square feet or 75 square meters, with common area space including hallways, a kitchen, dining, sitting area, washrooms, laundry, and a small consultation space.
- This project will be owned by PHC and built by Pinehouse Business North. PHC is a subsidiary of the Northern Village of Pinehouse.
- The Federal and Provincial Governments, through CMHC and SHC, are jointly contributing $1.5 million towards the construction of the 12 units under the Canada-Saskatchewan Investment in Affordable Housing (2014-2019) Agreement.
- The funding balance of approximately $648,000 will be provided by the Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake and Pinehouse Business North in the form of cash, land equity and in-kind contributions.
- Completion is targeted for summer 2018.
“Our Government is proud to support affordable housing for seniors in Pinehouse Lake. In addition to achieving important social objectives, this investment will spur short-term economic growth in this community. Congratulations to all partners involved in making this great project a success.”
— Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
“Our Government is committed to keeping Saskatchewan strong, and that includes providing housing opportunities for people in greatest housing need including seniors. These units will be more than a place to live; it will be a home, a place to gather with friends and family, and a community in itself. This project is an example of this Government’s efforts to ensure that Saskatchewan’s growth benefits everyone in the province.”
— Honourable Donna Harpauer, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation
“Our community is very grateful for this opportunity to build a 12-unit complex for the Elders. The project benefits the elders by providing them with safe, affordable and efficient housing. We are also pleased to train apprentices in the process, use a local contractor, and provide one-third of the project cost. We thank the federal and provincial governments for working hard with us to make this community goal a reality.”
— His Worship Mike Natomagan, Mayor, Northern Village of Pinehouse Lake
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642.
- In October 2012, the Government of Saskatchewan released the Saskatchewan Plan for Growth: Vision 2020 and Beyond, which sets out the Government’s vision for a province of 1.2 million people by 2020. The Plan identifies principles, goals and actions to ensure Saskatchewan is capturing the opportunities and meeting the challenges of a growing province. Since 2007, the Government of Saskatchewan has invested almost $700 million to develop and repair more than 14,600 homes around the province.
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Public Affairs Advisor, CMHC
Saskatchewan Ministry of Social Services