Official Opening of a New Affordable Housing Project in Saskatoon
SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN, June 10, 2016 — The Governments of Canada and Saskatchewan, along with Westgate Heights Attainable Housing Inc., celebrated the official opening of a new affordable housing complex today. Located at 3333 Centennial Drive in Saskatoon, this project will provide 10 units of affordable rental housing and support services for families with complex needs and 30 units of affordable housing to individuals and families for a total of 40 units.
The Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, on behalf of Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Jennifer Campeau, Minister of Central Services and Member of the Legislative Assembly for Saskatoon Fairview, on behalf of the Honourable Donna Harpauer, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, and His Worship Donald Atchison, Mayor of the City of Saskatoon, made the announcement today.
- This project consists of the new construction of 40 one, two and three-bedroom units in a four-level apartment building with an elevator and support services/common space on land owned by Westgate Heights Attainable Housing Inc.
- The Federal and Provincial Governments, through CMHC and SHC, are jointly contributing $2.4 million towards this development under the Canada-Saskatchewan Investment in Affordable Housing (2014-2019) Agreement.
- This housing project is supported by $750,000 in funding from the City of Saskatoon.
- The funding balance of approximately $4.4 million will be provided by Westgate Heights Attainable Housing Inc. in the form of mortgage financing and land equity.
“The Government of Canada is proud to invest in affordable housing here in Saskatoon and across Canada to help improve the quality of life for those who need it most. These new units at 3333 Centennial Drive are more than just safe and affordable places to live, they help build a foundation for broader social and economic success for these families.”
— Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
“Our Government is committed to making Saskatchewan grow and thrive, and housing that is affordable and comfortable is an important part of that vision. We are proud to work with the Government of Canada, the City of Saskatoon and Westgate Heights Attainable Housing Inc. to provide more housing for individuals and families in this community and improve their quality of life.”
— Honourable Jennifer Campeau, Minister of Central Services and Member of the Legislative Assembly for Saskatoon Fairview, on behalf of the Honourable Donna Harpauer, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation
“Every family deserves a clean, safe place to call home and when a family has complex needs that home becomes even more important for stability and safety. Forty families and individuals will soon have the security of knowing they have a place to call home as they build their lives. The partnerships with the governments of Canada and Saskatchewan and Westgate Heights Attainable Housing are a model for a successful city.”
— His Worship Donald Atchison, Mayor, City of Saskatoon
“Westgate Heights Attainable Housing proposes to fulfill its purpose through providing not just housing but relationships that will help fulfill life needs and living skills through its own resources and through partnerships with other like-minded organizations, acting with respect and integrity. We will continue to be a contributor to the healthy development of this community and to meeting the real needs existing in the community.”
— Rev. Dr. Frank Jeske, Westgate Heights Attainable Housing Inc.
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642.
- In October 2012, the Government of Saskatchewan released the Saskatchewan Plan for Growth: Vision 2020 and Beyond, which sets out the Government’s vision for a province of 1.2 million people by 2020. The Plan identifies principles, goals and actions to ensure Saskatchewan is capturing the opportunities and meeting the challenges of a growing province. Since 2007, the Government of Saskatchewan has invested almost $700 million to develop and repair more than 14,600 homes around the province.
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Public Affairs Advisor, CMHC
Saskatchewan Ministry of Social Services