Governments of Canada and Prince Edward Island Announce Investment of $1.35 Million for New Affordable Housing
CHARLOTTETOWN, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND, May 6, 2016 — The Governments of Canada and Prince Edward Island will invest $1.35 million over the next three years for affordable housing across the province. An additional seventy five units will be funded through rent supplements and will benefit low income seniors, families, non-senior singles, persons with disabilities and those with mental health issues.
Sean Casey, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Parliamentary and Attorney General of Canada and Member of Parliament for Charlottetown, along with the Honourable Tina Mundy, Minister of Family and Human Services and Member of the Legislative Assembly for Summerside – St. Eleanors, made the funding announcement today.
- The Governments of Canada and Prince Edward Island are both contributing $1.35M towards rent supplements under the Investment in Affordable Housing 2014-2019 agreement.
- Through Budget 2016, the Government of Canada will invest more than $1.5 billion dollars over two years, starting in 2016–2017, to support the construction of new affordable housing units, the renovation and repair of existing affordable housing, measures to support housing affordability such as rent supplements, and measures to foster safe, independent living.
- From April 2011 to December 2014, close to 236,000 households have benefited from this investment nationally, including almost 2,400 in Prince Edward Island.
“Our Government is providing Canadians not only with safe, affordable housing, but also with the jobs and opportunities they need. Rental assistance programs in Prince Edward Island give low-income households more options. They are flexible, giving Islanders the choice of where they want to live and the cash assistance helps with housing costs.”
— Sean Casey, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, Member of Parliament for Charlottetown, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
“The Province of Prince Edward Island is excited to be working in partnership with the federal government through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation to ensure affordable, appropriate housing is available for Islanders who are most in need. We recognize that there are gaps for specific groups of our population and we are pleased to be able to provide additional supports through rent supplements for individuals who are dealing with disabilities or mental health and addictions illnesses. Rent supplements are an excellent way to offer this support because they provide timely access to existing units across the province.”
— The Honourable Tina Mundy, Minister of Family and Human Services, MLA for Summerside – St. Eleanors
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada’s authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642.
- The Department of Family and Human Services has housing units for those who require affordable housing solutions. The Department also has a number of programs that help people pay for renovations or modifications to their homes. More information on these programs is available by calling 1-855-374-7366 or by going to www.gov.pe.ca/go/housing.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Family and Human Services
From left to right — Tina Mundy, Minister of Family and Human Services and MLA for Summerside – St. Eleanors and Sean Casey, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada and Member of Parliament for Charlottetown.