New Affordable Rental Housing Project Completed in Saskatoon
SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN, February 22, 2016 — The Governments of Canada and Saskatchewan, along with the City of Saskatoon and Ehrenburg Homes, today announced the completion of a 26-unit rental housing development in Saskatoon.
The Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Donna Harpauer, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation, and His Worship Donald Atchison, Mayor of the City of Saskatoon, made the announcement today.
- The 26-unit townhouse project located at 191 Maningas Bend in the Evergreen neighbourhood of University Heights in Saskatoon consists of 14 three-bedroom units at 1,306 square feet or 121 square metres, 11 four-bedroom units at 1,269 square feet or 118 square metres and one five-bedroom unit at 1,953 square feet or 181 square metres.
- The Federal and Provincial Governments, through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and Saskatchewan Housing Corporation (SHC), are jointly contributing $440,000 towards 11 of the 26 units under the Canada-Saskatchewan Investment in Affordable Housing (2014-2019) Agreement via the Capital Rent Subsidy program.
- SHC is also providing $130,000 under the provincial Rental Construction Incentive (RCI) via the City of Saskatoon as well as supporting Ehrenburg Homes through the Corporate Income Tax Rebate (CITR) on New Rental Housing.
- In addition, the City of Saskatoon is matching the RCI with $289,000 in incentives including a five-year increment property tax abatement
“Congratulations to everyone involved in this housing development, to Ehrenburg Homes and to the families who have a new place to call home. In the coming weeks and months, we look forward to working with Canadians, housing stakeholders and our partners in provinces, territories and municipalities as we restore a constructive role for the federal government in supporting affordable housing.”
— Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
“Today’s official opening of this housing development, is another example of partners coming together to create new housing opportunities for Saskatchewan people. Keeping Saskatchewan strong is a vision that we all share, and this project is a major complement to the housing units presently in operation across the province. Our Government will continue to work with the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors to help Saskatchewan families meet their housing needs.”
–– Ken Cheveldayoff, Member of the Legislative Assembly for Saskatoon Silver Springs, on behalf of the Honourable Donna Harpauer, Minister of Social Services and Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation
“Every family in Saskatoon deserves a safe and secure home in which to live. Our partnerships with the Federal Government, Provincial Government, private sector and not-for profits help us achieve this goal. Our nationally recognized and number one rated attainable housing program has created homes for more than 3,700 families in our city. Today 26 more Saskatoon families have a place to call home.”
— His Worship Donald Atchison, Mayor of the City of Saskatoon
“Ehrenburg Homes is proud to offer 26 new rental units within the Evergreen neighbourhood. We identified a need for three- to five-bedroom units and built accordingly. Offering three different unit types has allowed us to cater to different renters and different family sizes. We're also proud to have designed, built and now manage the site. We had the privilege of working with a great design and engineering team, great tradespeople and suppliers. I would like to thank our staff and management team for their many hours of hard work and contribution to this successful project. In addition I also thank all levels of government for their support of this project, as it has allowed us to offer these units at an affordable price.”
— Conrad Ehr, Controller, Ehrenburg Homes
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has been Canada's authority on housing for more than 70 years. To find out more about how the Government of Canada and CMHC help Canadians meet their housing needs, call 1-800-668-2642.
- Since 2007, the Government of Saskatchewan has invested almost $700 million to develop and repair more than 14,600 homes around the province.
Follow us on Twitter @CMHC_ca.
Public Affairs Advisor, CMHC
Saskatchewan Ministry of Social Services