Brand new website coming soon. Learn MoreClose

Regular Repairs

A regular or minor repair is an inconvenience, not an emergency. Attention to emergency situations, appliance repairs, and general maintenance, including wear and tear, are all your landlord's responsibility. You should not become involved in fixing minor repairs unless you have either agreed to take over these duties or you (or your guests) have damaged the premises.

If the responsible party fails to make necessary repairs to the property, the party that is not responsible for the repairs may notify the provincial authorities, sometimes referred to as the residential tenancy office. An application to the rental authority can lead to a court order for the responsible party to make necessary repairs.

If your landlord refuses to make reasonable repairs such as fixing broken door locks or windows, you may need to bring in a local authority. If you find yourself in this situation, consider requesting an inspection from a city or municipal building department. If an inspector finds that repairs are necessary, a work order will be issued to your landlord listing repairs to be completed by a specified date.

FactFixing Required

If you pay rent for something, such as a fridge, and it breaks, your landlord must fix it. This includes all appliances provided with the rented premises; if the unit came with a fridge and stove, your landlord must fix them when they break or require maintenance. Your landlord is also responsible for maintaining and repairing common areas. These include halls, lobbies, stairways, elevators, security systems, swimming pools, laundry facilities, and garbage rooms.

CautionDo Not Withhold Rent to Pay for Repairs

Deducting repair costs from your rent without landlord or court approval is against the law. If you deduct rent to pay for "non-emergency" repairs or withhold paying rent without authorization, a landlord may apply to have you evicted for non-payment of rent.

First, call or write the landlord or superintendent, explain what is wrong and ask to have it fixed. If the landlord does not respond or fails to make promised repairs, put your request in writing. If this fails to get the results you want, contact the local rent authority for help. These offices, called “Office of the Rentalsman” in some provinces, help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. They have the authority to order your landlord to apply rental money towards repairs. Depending on the problem, you may also need input from a building, health or fire inspector. Try calling your local fire department for the fire inspector or hospital for the health inspector.

FactBefore Entry

Unless it's an emergency, your landlord must give proper notice to enter the residential premises. Check the Provincial and Territorial Fact Sheets for rules in your province.



Print(opens in a new window)