Durham Region Facts
Durham Region website
Population: 608,125 (2011)
Location — Central Canada
Immediately east of Toronto within the Greater Toronto Area.
Warm humid summers, cold and snowy winters.
Durham Region is located right next to Toronto, offering easy access to Canada’s largest city without the chaos of downtown living.
Durham Region is made up of eight area municipalities: Ajax, Brock, Clarington, Oshawa, Pickering, Scugog, Uxbridge, and Whitby. It offers a mix of high-quality residential communities, planned cities and towns, rolling countryside, lakes and streams. Our residents enjoy affordable housing, higher than average incomes and a high standard of living.
Durham Region Features:
- Easy freeway and commuter train access to the entire Greater Toronto Area
- A skilled workforce, access to Canadian and US markets, and low business operating costs
- A growing immigrant community
- Many places of worship, including churches, madira, mosques, synagogues and temples
- A wide range of new and traditional housing options
- A vibrant arts and cultural sector
- A rich agricultural sector, with farmers’ markets and pick-your-own farms
- Three lakes, 350 km of recreational trails, exceptional parks, golf and ski facilities