MONCTON, NEW BRUNSWICK, May 29, 2017 — The governments of Canada and New Brunswick have invested $2 million in the development of an affordable housing complex in the Moncton area. The YW Jean E. S. Irving Centre for Women and Children project consists of 15 units for low income families, and the facility will also offer a variety of programs and services targeting women and children. Funding was made possible through the Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement.
The Honourable Ginette Petitpas Taylor, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Moncton—Riverview—Dieppe, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with Stephen Horsman, Minister of Families and Children, made the announcement today.
- The 15-unit development received a $2 million investment from the Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement through the Governments of Canada and New Brunswick.
- The project is centrally located at 135 Kendra Street, in Moncton, and was developed by the YWCA Moncton.
- The facility will provide a variety of programs and services, including a licensed daycare, women’s training and leadership centre, young women’s housing wing, youth empowerment centre, health and wellness centre, and a teaching kitchen.
“Our Government is investing in affordable housing here in New Brunswick and across Canada to improve the quality of life for those who need it most. Thanks to the combined efforts of our partners, we are able to give a helping hand to individuals in need, and in doing so, we are contributing to the economic and social well-being of the entire community.”
“The 15-unit housing complex and other important services will help improve the lives of mothers and their children for generations to come. Investing in affordable housing is part of our government’s commitment to making New Brunswick the best place in which to live, work and raise a family. I thank all the partners involved in this project. By working together, we are continuing to improve the lives of all New Brunswickers.”
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada’s authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC’s operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642.
- Follow CMHC on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Follow Ontario’s Ministry of Community and Social Services on Twitter.
Office of Minister Duclos
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Department of Social Development
Government of New Brunswick