LETHBRIDGE, ALBERTA , March 10, 2017 — The Governments of Canada and Alberta are working to make life better for residents of Lethbridge by investing more than $1.3 million in joint funding to upgrade and repair seniors and affordable housing units.
In particular, seniors and low-income tenants will benefit as most of the investment will go towards renovating and repairing social housing. The funding has been allocated for projects like mechanical systems, sidewalk improvements and to address accessibility issues.
- The federal and provincial governments are providing combined funding of more than $57 million province-wide to affordable housing capital maintenance projects through 2018.
- Projects that will receive funding in Lethbridge include low-income and seniors’ buildings. Upgrades and repairs will take place at buildings owned or operated by the Green Acres Foundation, L’Arche Association of Lethbridge, the Southern Alcare Society and the YWCA of Lethbridge.
- The announcement took place at the Garden View Lodge, owned by the Green Acres Foundation. Green Acres will receive about $1.2 million in funding for items like elevator upgrades and replacing tubs with walk-in showers.
“Our government is investing in much needed upgrades for affordable housing in Lethbridge. This will help to make life better for Albertans, ensuring they have safe and efficient places to call home.”
“In a tough economy, everyday Albertans deserve a government that makes life better. That’s why our government is investing in upgrades and repairs for affordable and seniors housing in Lethbridge that are much needed.”
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC’s operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642. Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- The Alberta government ministry of Seniors and Housing fosters the development of affordable housing and supports access to housing options for Albertans most in need. The Alberta Jobs Plan will invest $1.2 billion for affordable housing capital needs over the next five years. To achieve these outcomes, the ministry works with seniors, Albertans who require housing supports, their families and caregivers, communities and other government partners. A more detailed description of the ministry and its programs and initiatives can be found at www.seniors-housing.gov.ab.ca.
Office of Minister Duclos
Alberta Seniors and Housing
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Affordable Housing Capital Funding Projects – Lethbridge
|Green Acres Foundation||$1.2 million|
|Lethbridge Housing Authority||$15,000|
|YWCA of Lethbridge and District||$72,000|
|Southern Alcare Society of Lethbridge||$75,000|
|L’Arche Association of Lethbridge||$9,000|