SUNDRE, ALBERTA, September 16, 2016 — The Governments of Canada and Alberta, along with community partners, are celebrating the grand opening of a 104-unit supportive living facility for seniors in Sundre. The new facility will provide modern, affordable housing and care options for local seniors.
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Seniors and Housing, made the announcement today.
- A joint contribution of $8.2 million was made through the Canada-Alberta Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement (IAH 2014-2019).
- A further $3.8 million commitment by the Alberta government through the Affordable Supportive Living Initiative.
- Mountain View Seniors’ Housing contributed some $2.0 million to the project
- The new 104-unit Sundre Seniors Supportive Living Facility contains lodge, supportive living and life lease units to meet the needs of local seniors. It replaces the 43-unit Foothills Lodge, which has been decommissioned.
- Mountain View Seniors’ Housing is the housing management body for the Foothills Lodge. It has operations in Sundre, Olds, Didsbury, Carstairs and Cremona for low-to-moderate income seniors
“Our Government is committed to improving the quality of life for Canadians. Seniors deserve housing that is adequate, affordable and meets their needs. Congratulations to everyone involved in the new Sundre supportive living facility, and welcome home to the residents.”
“Every Albertan deserves a safe and affordable place to call home. This new facility gives Sundre and area seniors affordable living and care options so they can age in community close to family, friends and neighbours.”
“The significant contribution toward the Capital portion of the new Sundre Lodge ensures the long term sustainability of MVSH to provide the best quality Supportive Living facility for our residents.”
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642.
- The Alberta government ministry of Seniors and Housing fosters the development of affordable housing and supports access to housing options for Albertans most in need. To achieve these outcomes, the ministry works with seniors, Albertans who require housing supports, their families and caregivers, communities and other government partners. A more detailed description of the ministry and its programs and initiatives can be found at www.seniors-housing.gov.ab.ca.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Alberta Seniors and Housing
104-unit supportive living facility for seniors