MILK RIVER, ALBERTA, (Marketwired - July 29, 2016) — The Prairie Rose Lodge is celebrating the grand opening of an 18-unit expansion and the modernization of its existing units. The additional units and upgrades will provide safe and affordable housing options for local seniors.
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Seniors and Housing, made the announcement today.
- The Governments of Canada and Alberta contributed some $5.7 million to the project though the Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement (IAH 2011-2014).
- The original Prairie Rose Lodge was 29 units and the new and regenerated lodge now contains a total of 39 modern lodge units.
- The units are larger, have full ensuite washrooms and are protected by modern fire and safety systems.
- Common area space including dining room, multi-purpose rooms, lounges, office space have been expanded or added to meet the needs of both residents and staff.
- Ridge County Housing is the housing management body for Prairie Rose Lodge. It provides seniors and low-income families in Southern Alberta with housing and accommodations.
“Through investments in affordable housing, our Government is providing assistance to those who need it most here in Alberta and in all corners of the country. We are committed to making communities stronger through projects like this one in Milk River.”
“Seniors lodges are a vital part of rural Alberta and we are making significant investments in these facilities. The expansion and modernization of the Prairie Rose Lodge will give more Milk River and area seniors an opportunity to age in their community, close to family, friends and neighbours.”
“Ridge Country Housing is grateful to the Governments of Canada and Alberta for their support and funding of this project and to all the wonderful people and organizations in the community who have donated funds to provide necessary equipment and furniture for the residents of the Lodge. Ridge Country Housing is excited to open this new larger facility and to continue to provide affordable housing to seniors in Milk River and area.”
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC’s operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642. Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Canadians are invited to help shape the National Housing Strategy by joining the conversation on www.LetsTalkHousing.ca. Your ideas will help shape the future of housing in Canada.
Renée Anne Nat
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Alberta Seniors and Housing