LAMONT, ALBERTA, July 5, 2016 — Construction is underway for a new two-storey, 55-unit facility in Lamont. The new Beaverhill Pioneer Lodge will provide more affordable housing options for local seniors.
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Seniors and Housing, made the announcement today.
- The new facility will replace the existing Beaverhill Pioneer Lodge which was built in 1964. The new lodge will include larger rooms and feature a modern fire safety system.
- The Governments of Canada and Alberta contributed more than $9 million to the project through the Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement.
- The Province is contributing some $1.7 million through the Alberta Social Housing and Corporation surplus earnings.
- The remainder of the funding will be provided by the Lamont County Housing Foundation, which is responsible for the provision of social housing to residents of Lamont County and the surrounding area.
“The Government of Canada is investing in affordable housing to help create jobs and improve the quality of life for those who need it most. This funding will help seniors in Lamont and throughout Alberta access safe and affordable housing that meets their needs.”
“Every Albertan deserves a safe and affordable place to call home. I’m proud of our government’s commitment to seniors and housing. The new lodge gives Lamont and area seniors an opportunity to age in community, close to family, friends and neighbours.”
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, we contribute to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provide support for Canadians in housing need, and offer unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of our operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642 or visit www.cmhc.ca.
Renée Anne Nat
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Alberta Seniors and Housing