CONCEPTION BAY SOUTH, NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR, November 15, 2016 — The Governments of Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador, along with community partners, celebrated the groundbreaking for three new affordable homeownership units today in Conception Bay South.
Mr. Ken McDonald, Member of Parliament for Avalon, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, along with the Honourable Sherry Gambin-Walsh, Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation, made the announcement today.
- The Governments of Canada and Newfoundland and Labrador invested $255,000 for three new affordable homeownership units in Conception Bay South, which will be developed by Habitat NL.
- Funding for these units is being provided through the Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement 2014-2019.
- The Town of Conception Bay South, a Habitat NL community partner, donated the land.
“Our Government is dedicated to working in partnership with organizations like Habitat to build the sort of safe, appropriate, affordable housing necessary for healthy, sustainable communities. The investments in these new homes will make a real difference in the lives of three families, a place they can proudly call their own.”
“We are delighted to be here today to celebrate the ground breaking for three new Habitat for Humanity homes in Conception Bay South. These homes will provide more opportunities for families most in need to secure affordable, quality housing through home ownership.”
“Together with our community, Habitat for Humanity builds affordable homes that gives families stability and independence to create a better life for themselves. We are pleased to be starting our newest build project, a triplex in Conception Bay South.”
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada’s authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC’s operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642. Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation is the province’s largest landlord with over 5,500 rental units province-wide and is home to approximately 12,000 people. For more information on Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation programs, visit: http://www.nlhc.nf.ca/programs/programs.html
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Manager of Corporate Communications
Newfoundland and Labrador
Media Relations Manager
Department of Children, Seniors and Social Development